Q& A good: THE COLLEGE COOKING PROCESS The other day, I was a guest regarding #CollegeCash discussion on Bebo discussing university or college preparation the online information that are available for parents of the teens and trainees. Since possibly not everyone can show up at these félin or is usually active on Facebook, I thought it will be nice to express the queries and responses here on my very own blog.
Question: When ever do mom and dad start the college prep process?
- Ideally you should start speaking to your college about the value of an education after they start school and amplifier it up throughout middle university.
- 9th standard students will need to pay close attention to study course selection finding AP is in classes, instructional math and discipline.
- 9th graders should also start looking for that ONE PARTICULAR extracurricular hobby to concentrate on inside high school.
Dilemma: What do you observe as the parent’s role inside the college preparation process?
- Dads and moms should let the student ‘drive the car’ but complement as a passenger/guide
- Parents might help with firm and gentle alarms regarding deadlines
- Parents should be there pertaining to advice, help support and things but do take control of the task
Question: Just what online tools do you suggest for contrasting colleges side-by-side?
- I love Zinch because you can make a profile, evaluate colleges and become matched w/colleges and scholarships http://www.zinch.com
- You may use the College Board’s tool to match colleges additionally http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
- A lot more sites are: http://www.collegeview.com/index.jsp & http://www.collegexpress.com/ & http://www.cappex.com & http://www.collegeconfidential.com
Subject: What web based tools do you really recommend for test preparation?
- For terminology prep, @sheldonwordnerd has the BEST online application available http://www.word-nerd.com
- Practice tests are critical so make the most of them on-line here http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice & http://www.number2.com/ & http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Read their very own blogs & follow on Twitter: @elizabethonline @akilbello@sheldonwordnerd @preppedpolished @PWNtheSAT@staceyhowelott
Problem: What internet tools would you recommend intended for financial aid?
- Typically the definitive website for educational funding info is actually http://www.finaid.org/
- Obviously ALL families should comprehensive the FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to qualify for financing
- Saving for College or university provides moms and dads with all the info regarding financial aid http://www.savingforcollege.com/ & permits you to compare financial savings plans
Query: What online learning resources do you advise for university or college visit preparing?
- Visit university or college websites and keep an eye out for video adventures and information regarding each individual institution
- @collegevisit provides all the gear you need to schedule, organize along with prepare for school visits http://www.smartcollegevisit.com
- Before the visit you can check over @YOUniversity is virtual university tours and also hear from pupils http://www.youniversitytv.com/
Concern: What on the net tools does one recommend to assist with the essay or dissertation?
- @vcollegeadvisor has its great go tips through video http://www.youtube.com/user/PreCollegeCoach#p/a/u/0/Ago6tIEnL0g
- @collegebasics gives you some good advice on different homework topics http://www.collegebasics.com/applying-to-college/admissions-essays/
- @butwait provides for a pocket composition editor about 13 points https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ah89knd3kmzc_469cq94ghdq
- If you’re looking for quite a few actual pupil essay versions of, look at this point http://www.teenink.com/college_guide/college_essays/
Problem: Where equipment find information concerning individual faculty statistics?
- I really like College Navigator because it’s not hard to view statistics and compare http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
- Great resource for research and more is certainly CollegeData http://www.collegedata.com/
- The College Aboard also offers one tool to research college or university information http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
Question: What precisely information would you share within the Net Value Calculator?
- The web price calculators were decided to help mom and dad and college students estimate the big cost of college or university BEFORE implementing
- Not all calculators are created equal; use them to be a tool however , don’t expect to have 100% consistency on expense estimates
- Organisations are required to have them on their web-sites but they are commonly hard to find; it’s likely you have to do certain digging
Question: How can mothers and fathers be assured these are getting QUALIFIED advice with regards to college and not being scammed?
- I composed a blog recently in regards to this topic https://www.parentingforcollege.com/2011/11/07/parents-beware-its-a-jungle-out-there/
- Some tips: investigate all claims making use of Google; ask about them working with social media; draught beer associated w/other experts?
- Don’t believe claims except in cases where backed up with facts just in case it’s very good to always be true, the item usually is normally
EARLY INSTITUTION PREPARATION PAYS OFF
I go through two article content and a article today which underscored the significance of starting the college preparation process early:
Math on preschool
Is 6th score the key towards ending typically the dropout meltdown?
The Forgotten Middle (A College Growth Report)
While I can not advocate pressuring students on grade college about university or adding undue stress related to college or university preparation, there are several things that mother and father can do to assure their young people are prepared as soon as the college decision-making time jobs around. I’ll share with you suggestions:
- Really encourage your student to read, study and look over a strong speech that you can exclusively get from browsing will help them all through high school and even into institution; not to mention it may help with SAT/ACT testing in addition to essay preparing.
- Make sure that your school’s math concepts and scientific discipline programs will be up-to-par and that also your college student participates with a strong content level in both subjects these lessons are crucial to the student’s essential thinking flexibility and their accomplishment with difficult college course.
- Show your university student to set goals and objectives and carry out steps to obtain them in case you start premature, you are getting ready your learner to be successful around high school, institution and in lifetime.
- Well before entering high school, have a flirt with your teen concerning importance of marks and academics success within the next 4 years most of their grades are certainly more than just text letters on a document; they will determine how colleges enjoy them and also the amount of value aid these people receive. Solid academic overall performance = entrée and scholarships and grants.
- Aid your college student find his or her passion some nonacademic activity/hobby/interest to pursue, grow plus excel all over school and even beyond. This is often fun, societal and ego-building, and colleges and universities want to see this unique, too. (Thanks to Wendy at POCSMomfor this some other tip! )
Those may look like simple or obvious proposals, but these several suggestions, in cases where followed, will be able to put your own student in relation to college ability and even college or university success. Constructive proactive nurturing can participate in a huge job in the faculty admissions approach.